So you may have to file bankruptcy due to Covid 19. What do you need to know?
1. First, if you can afford to, continue to pay your landlord so that having to be evicted and moving are not the first thing you have to deal with after this time is over;
2. Second, start getting your list of creditors and bills together;
3. Third, realize that if you are currently living off your credit cards, you may still have to pay some of that back;
4. Fourth, if you want to try and file a Chapter 7,which wipes out all of the debt (other than things you want to keep, student loan debt, child support and a few other exceptions), if you are in Louisville Kentucky and the Western half of Kentucky, you will have to pay your attorney before you can file, so if you know you are most likely going to have to file bankruptcy in a few months, go ahead and start setting aside the money or go ahead and start making payments to your attorney so that is taken care of as the Court will let you pay most of the filing fee after you file your case;
5. If you are a small business owner, and most of us have signed personally for our business debt also, you may end of filing personally and for your business also. So, you need to be aware of if you have to file a business bankruptcy, you may be looking at a personal filing also, so talk to an attorney who handles both business and personal bankruptcies;
6. Remember, as the Governor has been saying, there is nothing wrong with asking for help and if you need it, ask for it.
7. One can file bankruptcy without an attorney, but I would never suggest that as if you make a mistake, it could easily cost you more to fix it than the attorney would have charged you to handle it, plus it will be less stressful for you to turn your issues over to a knowledge bankruptcy attorney to help.